New Course. Early Deadline: Enrolling for Wednesdays.
Live Online, 18:30-21:30, from Wednesday 29 September for 12 weeks. €240* (€175 conc.)
This course is ideal for small to medium-sized businesses, professionals, and community activists, who need to create and effectively manage their own website and a constantly updated online presence.
In 12 weeks of workshops the course will guide you through setting up a website name and email address, hosting your new website, working with WordPress to create your own website, using Google Analytics to track your viewers, create relationships with mailing lists, sell products online with WooCommerce, and maintain an integrated social media presence.
The purpose of the QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to establish, develop and maintain an interactive website, working independently and with others.
Your first year’s hosting on professional Irish servers is included in the cost of the course.
Work online under supervision during workshops to create and promote your own website presence.
Work with your class colleagues as a community of like-minded people to support, provide feedback, and to learn from each other.
- Participants will explore creative options for coming up with a memorable website name; practically learn where and how to purchase a name for your business; or explore free options.
- Learn how to set up an effective business email address.
- Once you have a website name you will need to host your website somewhere. Participants will take a tour of some of the available hosting services – from absolutely free, through starter, to top of the range shared hosting locally in Ireland – and explore the implications of the different choices. Participants will then learn how a domain name for a website becomes associated with the hosting service provider.
- Whether you ever intend to buy your own names or hosting, all participants will benefit from an introductory course in WordPress website development and management – content creation, templates, plugins, widgets, users and security. WordPress is free software and throughout the course participants will actively create their own free WordPress website with free hosting (which can be exported and imported to paid hosting at a later stage if desired).
- Google Analytics and Tag Manager are key to understanding how your customers interact with your website and help you monitor your website’s performance.
- Learn how to create relationships with your customers with integrated MailChimp mailing lists and newsletters.
- WooCommerce is the popular WordPress plugin for developing online stores. Learn how to set up WooCommerce, create a store with a sample product, and explore ways in which your business can be paid.
- Finally, no website is complete today without a social media input and presence. Learn how to effectively integrate Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other services with your website to generate an instant automatic and dynamic social media presence for your business.
|Enrolment||Now enrolling for Online classes.|
|Times||18:30 to 21:30|
|Starting||Wednesday, 29 September 2021|
|Tutor||Eoin Ó Spealáin|
Live video-conferencing on Google Meet, email tutor support, free Google Docs and Microsoft Office Online, study notes and course materials online on Moodle.
How do online classes work?
*€240.00 with online discount, €175.00 for Social Welfare/PUP, €175.00 for Old Age Pension recipients, €150.00 for current and just graduated Mallow campus day students, FREE on the Training Support Grant.
|Deadline||Early Deadline: Enrol online here before Wednesday, 08 September 2021.|
- Explore the development of hyper text mark up language (HTML).
- Examine different HTML versions and backward compatibility issues.
- Examine the role of tags with HTML authoring.
- Examine the advantages and disadvantages of coding HTML and using HTML editors.
- Examine browser compatibility of HTML editors.
- Distinguish between different scripting languages.
- Examine the file formats suitable for use in Web Publishing with regard to text, graphics, audio and video files.
- Examine the procedures for uploading a website to a server.
- Utilise various HTML and cascading style sheets (CSS) techniques to processes and format images and text.
- Utilise comment and meta tags appropriately.
- Use the correct tags to insert multimedia files to include: sound files, video, shock wave and flash.
- Implement the correct tags to insert special symbols or characters.
- Apply red, green, blue (RGB) colour system in hexadecimal.
- Implement web-safe colours.
- Generate HTML tags using an HTML editor.
- Insert scripts in HTML.
- Produce site structure and corresponding site map.
- Determine webpage size in terms of: memory requirements and pixel sizes with reference to resolution constraints and download times for the site.
- Determine material requirements for site production to include: software, hardware, hard copy and scripts.
- Produce readable and printable text having regard to web typography, typefaces and alternatives, and proofread as required.
- Ensure that site content is accurately and clearly presented using an effective and appropriate layout.
- Test, revise, maintain and upgrade the site.
- Insert a hit page counter into a website.
- Demonstrate browser compatibility with respect to browser specific tags.
- Use scripting language to implement browser plug-in detection, status bar messages, scrolling status bars, rollovers cycling animations, slide shows, dynamic frames, form verification, new windows, cookies and dynamic webpage updates.
- Use debugging techniques to remove errors.
- Create an interactive website.
- Identify site objectives and potential target audience.
- Determine likely user access speed, computer platform, browser and user experience, software availability and level of feedback required for the interactive website created.
- Determine the level of interactivity and feedback required in the site.
- Produce a logical, consistent and functional navigation solution for the site.
- Design a suitable and consistent user-friendly interface for the site.
- Produce a consistent file organisation hierarchy using folders and subfolders, with appropriate naming conventions.
- Promote a site with reference to online marketing via search engines, directories and other specialist facilities.
Official QQI specifications and assessment breakdown: QQI 6N2532 Web Authoring, Level 6
- Studying online requires a PC or laptop with reliable broadband and a basic IT knowledge.
- Find out more about studying online.
- Learners must be aged 18 and over.
- No previous experience required.
- Find out more about the type of people who take our courses.
Course costs already include QQI certification.
Courses can be free for Social Welfare or PUP recipients with the Training Support Grant (up to €1,000 per year).
Facebook Live Fridays at 7.30pm for all the latest information and answers to your questions.