Live Online, 18:30-21:30, from Monday 27 September for 10 weeks. €165* (€123 conc.)
The aim of this award is to provide the learner with the background knowledge, skills and competence required to work effectively, under direction, in a special needs setting.
|Enrolment||Now enrolling for Online classes.|
|Times||18:30 to 21:30|
|Starting||Monday, 27 September 2021|
Live video-conferencing on Google Meet, email tutor support, free Google Docs and Microsoft Office Online, study notes and course materials online on Moodle.
How do online classes work?
*€165.00 with online discount, €122.50 for Social Welfare/PUP, €122.50 for Old Age Pension recipients, €105.00 for current and just graduated Mallow campus day students, FREE on the Training Support Grant.
|Deadline||Enrol online here before Monday, 13 September 2021.|
- Understand the concept of a need in relation to disability.
- Identify relevant international policy relating to individuals with special needs.
- Identify a range of special needs conditions and impairments.
- Outline a range of causes, diagnosis and prognosis of the different conditions and impairments.
- Interpret current legislation relating to special needs provision and identify the main points of the legislation.
- Interpret the current national policies relating to special needs provision and identify the main policy implications.
- Compile a list of local and national resources, services and facilities available to individuals with special needs.
- Devise strategies for the promotion of good practice within a special needs setting.
- Examine the history of special needs service provision in Ireland to date.
- Understand the emotional and practical implications of having a family member with special needs.
- Explain the common terms and language used in the area of disability with due regard to contemporary best practice in the use of language in this field.
- Describe the roles of support staff including childcare workers and special needs assistants in the context of special needs.
- Describe the roles of the interdisciplinary team members and professionals in the context of individuals with special needs.
- Describe the different learning and therapy programmes provided by professionals in the area of special needs.
Official QQI specifications and assessment breakdown: QQI 5N1709 Understanding Special Needs, Level 5
- Studying online requires a PC or laptop with reliable broadband and a basic IT knowledge.
- Find out more about studying online.
- Learners must be aged 18 and over.
- No previous experience required.
- Find out more about the type of people who take our courses.
Course costs already include QQI certification.
Courses can be free for Social Welfare or PUP recipients with the Training Support Grant (up to €1,000 per year).