Successful completion of this course provides a recognised qualification necessary for working as a health care assistant in a variety of settings, including hospitals, day and residential care and the home. The course equips the carer with the knowledge and skills necessary to work in this rewarding role as a member of the care team. It is suitable for those wishing to embark on a career in caring and those already working in the sector who wish to gain a recognised qualification.
It is made up of 8 components and each carries a value of 15 credits, giving a total of 120 credits for the full award. Three components will be offered each term, 8 components must be completed to achieve a full award.
For modules running next term please refer to the individual component awards listed below or head to nightschool.ie/tag/5m4339.
- Mandatory (All 5 need to completed)
- Electives (3 need to completed)
- 5N1370 Social Studies
- 5N1652 Intellectual Disabilities Studies
- 5N1764 Child Development
- 5N1765 Child Health and Well Being
- 5N1773 Early Childhood Education and Play
- 5N2006 Nutrition
- 5N2706 Care of the Older Person
- 5N3734 Infection Prevention and Control
- 5N3769 Palliative Care
- Maximum 1 vocationally relevant Level 4/5/6:
For the official specification of required awards refer to the qualification details for QQI 5M4339 Healthcare Support, Level 5.
Official QQI specifications and assessment breakdown: QQI 5M4339 Healthcare Support, Level 5
- Studying online requires a PC or laptop with reliable broadband and a basic IT knowledge.
- Find out more about studying online.
- Learners must be aged 18 and over.
- A pass Leaving Certificate or equivalent standard.
- Or relevant work and life experience for mature students.
- For work experience (150 hours) all learners must have completed patient handling/client moving and Garda vetting through the College.
- Find out more about the type of people who take our courses.
Facebook Live Fridays at 7.30pm for all the latest information and answers to your questions.