Study the impact of data protection & the GDPR on workplaces, charitable and voluntary organisations. This course has been developed in response to significant changes in data protection legislation since May 2018.
- This course will be delivered in plain English with no jargon.
- No prior knowledge of data protection legislation is required.
- It is cost effective, time efficient and supports good business.
- Walk away with knowledge and skills you can apply as soon as you get back to work.
- You will receive a Certificate of Attendance.
Who is this course for?
Attending this course is a must for anyone that handles other people’s information as part of their job (i.e., business owners, managers, team leaders, voluntary committee members and employees).
This practical and interactive eight-week course provides you with:
- Broad knowledge of how data protection affects your workplace/charity.
- The knowledge and skills on how to avoid the common mistakes that lead to data breaches.
- The skills to implement controls to reduce the risk of fines or reputational damage.
Anita Murphy is a Data Protection & GDPR Consultant. She advises clients on data privacy matters such as data breaches, subject access requests, drafting data protection policies and procedures and planning a road-map for clients to meet their legal obligations. Anita also provides training and information sessions for clients on data protection and the GDPR. Anita has a BA, and MA from UCC, a Higher Diploma in Health & Safety in the Workplace, an MA in Human Resources from CIT and is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals. https://www.linkedin.com/in/dataprotectionsolved/
Is this course for me?
- Find out more about the type of people who take our courses.
- Learners aged 18 and over.
- No previous experience required.
Not running this term for Mallow. Sign up for future course notifications.
NightSchool.ie at Mallow College of Further Education.
Times: 18:30 to 20:30
Duration: 4 Weeks
Starting: Monday, 27 January 2020
Price: €75.00, *€65.00 with online discount, €52.50 for Old Age Pension recipients, €45.00 for current and just graduated Mallow College day students.
- Week 1:
- History of Data Protection.
- Brief Overview of the European Data Protection Board, Data Protection Commission and Data Subjects.
- Main Players – Data Controllers, Joint Data Controllers, Data Processors, Sub-Processors and the importance of having Contracts in place.
- The 6 Lawful Bases (Direct Marketing & Consent) and the 6 General Principles.
- Physical Security Considerations & Cyber Security.
- Staff Training & Awareness.
- Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIA) and Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs).
- International Data Transfers & also Brexit.
- Information Governance.
- Policies Procedures and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Codes of Practice.
- Data Protection Audits and Data Mapping (as per Art. 30).
- Data Protection Commission’s Powers and Enforcement.
- Case Studies – Data Breaches and their Outcomes.
- How to Create a Privacy Statement for your Website.
- How to Create a Privacy Notice for your Employees.
- Checklist of what you need to do in your workplace.
- Issuing Certificate of Attendance.