Mallow College, 18:30-21:30, Tuesday, 26 September 2023.
Animal Grooming QQI Level 5 Certificate 5N0752
Learn the techniques for grooming different dog breeds. Learn to properly use and handle grooming parlour tools. Understand dog anatomy. And learn to effectively handle dogs on the grooming table.
Learn in a dedicated dog grooming salon from an experienced dog grooming professional with professional salon equipment. Work on your own dogs, friends’ dogs, and client dogs booked in via our online booking system for our Dog Grooming Service.
A dog grooming course is fun, practical and informative. Plus with this QQI level 5 qualification you have the option to start your own dog grooming career.
- Remote: Online classes and blended learning in animal care and dog grooming, theory exam, and portfolio preparation.
- On-Site (14 weeks): Practical dog grooming on campus in our dedicated Grooming Salon at Mallow College of Further Education, completing your skills demos and learner record.
|Nights||Tuesday or Wednesday|
|Duration||22 weeks (8 weeks Remote theory from September 2023 – 14 weeks onsite in Mallow)|
Live video-conferencing on Google Meet, email tutor support, free Google Docs and Microsoft Office Online, study notes and course materials online on Moodle.
How do online classes work?
*€490.00 with online discount, €380.00 for Social Welfare/PUP, €380.00 for Old Age Pension recipients, €340.00 for current and just graduated Mallow campus day students, FREE on the Training Support Grant.
|Deadline||Please apply before Monday, 18 September 2023|
- Gain an understanding of the body language in small animals and exercise appropriate conduct within the grooming facility.
- Develop the knowledge in the ear care, nails, structure, function and appearance of the skin and coat, in order to be confident in the evaluation of common abnormalities.
- Collect information through examination, observation and obtaining information from the owner/guardian of the animal to assist in a grooming procedure.
- Demonstrate the skills in different grooming techniques. Have the understanding in the selection of suitable tools and products for different coat types, the appropriate handling of tools and the completion of procedures required for a variety of animals within a grooming facility.
- Deal appropriately with the animals, the public and equipment following the health and hygiene guidelines outlined within a grooming facility.
- The course runs 1 night a week for 22 weeks.
Official QQI specifications and assessment breakdown: QQI 5N0752 Animal Grooming, Level 5
- Learners must be aged 18 and over.
- No previous experience required.
- Find out more about the type of people who take our courses.
Course costs already include a €100 grooming kit and QQI certification fees.
Courses can be free for Social Welfare or PUP recipients with the Training Support Grant (up to €1,000 per year).
Róisín Fitzmaurice is an experienced dog grooming teacher and expert practitioner. Following on from a background in veterinary nursing and experience in veterinary clinics, Róisín moved to study QQI Dog Grooming Level 5 and Apprenticeship Dog Grooming Level 6, and has since established her own dog grooming services in both the Netherlands and Ireland.
You can contact Róisín at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have about the course.