The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to provide for the health and well-being of children and maintain healthy, hygienic and safe practices and environments in a range of early childhood care and education settings.
- Outline the requirements necessary to provide for the health and well-being of children in an early childhood care and education setting as informed by national guidelines to include child protection.
- Describe the factors that contribute to the overall well-being of children.
- Outline the various nutritional needs of babies and young children.
- Identify requirements for the promotion of healthy and safe indoor and outdoor environments for children.
- Describe a range of common childhood illnesses.
- Perform appropriate personal care routines for babies and young children including the care of the child when unwell.
- Implement appropriate policies and procedures to include record keeping as required by legislation and good practice guidelines.
- Utilize a range of practice skills that support and promote the health and well-being of children
- Apply knowledge of child development to support children to form secure and positive relationships with adults and children in the early childhood care and education setting.
- A pass Leaving Certificate or equivalent standard.
- Relevant work and life experience is equivalent for mature students (aged 23 and over).
- A QQI certification fee of €20 is already included in course fee.