New course running for Summer 2019 in Charleville. Coming soon for Autumn 2019 in Mallow. From €205.00* / €154.00 for Social Welfare/OAP recipients. The purpose of this course is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence in the practices and principles underpinning the role of a Special Needs Assistant to enable the… >>
Coming soon for Autumn 2019 in Mallow.
From €225.00* / €168.00 for Social Welfare/OAP recipients.
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence relevant to the theory and practice of child development and learning within early childhood care and education settings.
Coming soon for Autumn 2019 in Mallow. Pre-register to sign up for future course notifications.
Location: NightSchool.ie at Mallow College of Further Education.
Times: 18:30 to 21:30
Duration: 10 Weeks
Starting: Monday, 23 September 2019
Cost: €240.00, *€225.00 with online discount, €168.00 for Social Welfare and Old Age Pension recipients, €144.00 for Mallow College day students.
Information Week, Monday September 9 to Wednesday September 11, 19:00 to 20:00 at Mallow College of Further Education. Get more information, meet tutors, and enrol on the night. Add Facebook Event reminder.
- Explain the holistic development of the child to include physical, cognitive, language, social, emotional, moral, spiritual, creative and cultural development.
- Describe a range of theories of child development and learning to include Piaget, Chomsky, Erikson, Bowlby, Ainsworth, Pavlov, Skinner.
- Describe the influence of family, social, cultural and environmental factors on child development and learning.
- Identify the benefits of play to the child’s holistic development and learning mindful of diversity, inclusion and equality of opportunity.
- Describe the contribution of the practitioner/parent/guardian to the development and learning of children in the home and in the early childhood care and education setting.
- Apply theoretical principles of child development in the early childhood care and education setting.
- Document children’s developmental progress against normative milestones of development.
- Carry out observations in support of programme planning for individual children and groups.
- Recommend suitable play activities to promote holistic development and learning.
- Evaluate own role and practice in supporting the development and learning of the child.
- A pass Leaving Certificate or equivalent standard.
- Relevant work and life experience is equivalent for mature students (aged 23 and over).
- A QQI certification fee of €20 is already included in course fee.