Now enrolling for Autumn 2019 in Mallow. From €800.00* / €567.00 for Social Welfare/OAP recipients. This final year of a two-year study programme is designed to prepare learners for employment in accounting departments of commercial, industrial or public sector organisations or in the offices of practicing accountants. It provides a valuable qualification in accounting and… >>
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to meet the full range of needs of older people in a variety of care settings.
- Discuss a range of age related issues to include healthy ageing, global and national demographic trends, the normal physiological and psychological processes of ageing, the social impact of ageing on older people and differing attitudes to ageing and older people
- Analyse the roles of the health care assistant in promoting positive attitudes to ageing and of statutory and voluntary agencies in promoting the well being of older people
- Examine a range of concepts and practices to include preparation for retirement and the ethnic and cultural influences on the older person
- Explore a range of older people’s needs to include physical, social, emotional, psychological, recreational, financial, environmental and spiritual needs
- Summarise the role of the health care assistant in providing care for older people
- Discuss the issues related to an older person with mental illness or dementia and of living with chronic illness
- Recognise the individual needs of the dying older person and their families
- Summarise the range of the care settings for older people and the members of the healthcare team available in each care setting
- Explore a range of specific services that are available for older people to include education, lifelong learning, retirement/the workplace and leisure
- Analyse current approaches towards developing quality in the provision of services for older people and their families to include standards and quality assurance
- Employ effective communication with the older person, their family and the multi disciplinary team
- Adapt care and practices to meet the needs of older people with cognitive and sensory impairment and physical disabilities
- A pass Leaving Certificate or equivalent standard.
- Relevant work and life experience is equivalent for mature students (aged 23 and over).
- A QQI certification fee of €20 is already included in course fee.