New Course. Now enrolling for Monday and Wednesday.
Online, 18:30-21:30, from Monday 28 September for 12 weeks. €300* (€217 conc.)
The two essential nursing home care awards together.
Care Skills: QQI Level 5: This programme module aims to equip the learner with the skills, knowledge and competence to care for clients in a safe and hygienic environment.
Care of the Older Person: QQI Level 5: The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to meet the full range of needs of older people in a variety of care settings.
- Studying online will require a PC/laptop with reliable broadband and a basic IT knowledge. How does online study work?
- Learners aged 18 and over.
- A pass Leaving Certificate or equivalent standard.
- Or relevant work and life experience for mature students.
- Talk to us if you have any questions.
- Find out more about the type of people who take our courses.
Course costs already include QQI certification.
Now enrolling for Online classes.
Study online with live video-conferencing on Google Meet, email tutor support, free Google Docs and Microsoft Office Online, and your study notes and course materials online on Moodle. How do online classes work?
Scheduled socially-distanced assessments at local centres: Mallow College of Further Education, Fermoy FET Centre, or Charleville FET Centre (formerly Mannix College).
Nights: Monday and Wednesday
Times: 18:30 to 21:30
Duration: 12 Weeks
Starting: Monday, 28 September 2020
Price: €310.00, *€300.00 with online discount, €217.00 for Social Welfare, €217.00 for Old Age Pension recipients, €186.00 for current and just graduated Mallow College day students. (Course costs already include QQI certification.)
Information Night: Registration Facebook Event.
Enrolment: Running subject to enrollment numbers: Enrol online here before Monday, 07 September 2020.
- Care Skills: QQI Level 5:
- To assist the learner to recognize the different types of clients needing care, different types of care needs and the differing care needs of clients.
- To enable the learner to develop the necessary knowledge to respond effectively to clients’ individual needs, with their involvement and their use of choice.
- To assist the learner to acquire practical skills in the area of client personal care.
- To enable the learner to develop the knowledge and skills required for the maintenance of a safe, healthy and hygienic environment for clients.
- In conjunction with this module training will be given in patient handling/client moving.
- A Certificate of attendance will be issued by Mallow College of Further Education for this training.
- Care of the Older Person: QQI Level 5:
- Discuss a range of age related issues to include healthy ageing, global and national demographic trends, the normal physiological and psychological processes of ageing, the social impact of ageing on older people and differing attitudes to ageing and older people.
- Analyse the roles of the health care assistant in promoting positive attitudes to ageing and of statutory and voluntary agencies in promoting the well being of older people.
- Examine a range of concepts and practices to include preparation for retirement and the ethnic and cultural influences on the older person.
- Explore a range of older people’s needs to include physical, social, emotional, psychological, recreational, financial, environmental and spiritual needs.
- Summarise the role of the health care assistant in providing care for older people.
- Discuss the issues related to an older person with mental illness or dementia and of living with chronic illness.
- Recognise the individual needs of the dying older person and their families.
- Summarise the range of the care settings for older people and the members of the healthcare team available in each care setting.
- Explore a range of specific services that are available for older people to include education, lifelong learning, retirement/the workplace and leisure.
- Analyse current approaches towards developing quality in the provision of services for older people and their families to include standards and quality assurance.
- Employ effective communication with the older person, their family and the multi disciplinary team.
- Adapt care and practices to meet the needs of older people with cognitive and sensory impairment and physical disabilities.
- Official QQI specifications and assessment breakdown: QQI 5N2770 Care Skills, Level 5, QQI, 5N2706 Care of the Older Person, Level 5